On the Mountain
Off the Mountain
Megève, located in the picturesque region of Haute-Savoie in the French Alps, is a charming and enchanting mountain village that captivates visitors with its beauty and alpine charm. Nestled amidst snow-capped mountains, Megève is renowned for its idyllic landscapes and rich history, making it a popular destination for both winter sports enthusiasts and those seeking a tranquil retreat in nature.
The village of Megève exudes an undeniable ambiance of elegance and sophistication. Its cobblestone streets are lined with traditional wooden chalets, luxury boutiques, and stylish restaurants, creating a delightful blend of old-world charm and modern comforts. Megève's central square, Place de l'église, is the heart of the village and is adorned with a beautiful medieval church and a variety of cozy cafés where one can relax and soak in the atmosphere.
Winter is a particularly magical time in Megève, as it transforms into a winter wonderland. With access to over 400 kilometers of pristine ski slopes in the Evasion Mont-Blanc ski area, Megève is a paradise for skiers and snowboarders of all levels. The slopes are well-maintained and offer breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains, providing an unforgettable experience for winter sports enthusiasts.
Beyond skiing, Megève offers a multitude of activities to enjoy. You can go snowshoeing through the pristine forests, try your hand at ice skating on the outdoor rink, or enjoy a sleigh ride through the snowy landscape. For those seeking relaxation and rejuvenation, Megève boasts a range of luxurious spas and wellness centers, where you can indulge in soothing treatments and unwind after a day on the slopes.
In the summer months, Megève retains its allure, enticing visitors with its stunning natural beauty and a plethora of outdoor activities. Hiking and mountain biking trails dot the surrounding mountains, allowing you to explore the breathtaking alpine scenery at your own pace. Megève is also known for its golf courses, offering golfers an opportunity to play amidst the stunning mountain backdrop.
Culture and gastronomy are equally cherished in Megève. The village hosts a number of cultural events throughout the year, including music festivals and art exhibitions, adding a touch of vibrancy to the serene ambiance. The gastronomic scene in Megève is superb, with a wide array of restaurants and gourmet eateries that showcase the best of local Savoyard cuisine, as well as international flavors.
Overall, Megève is a destination that seamlessly combines natural beauty, alpine adventure, and refined elegance. Whether you visit in the winter or summer, you will be enchanted by this charming mountain village and its timeless allure.
The skiing experience in Megève is truly exceptional, offering a paradise for winter sports enthusiasts of all levels. With its extensive ski area, scenic landscapes, and well-groomed slopes, Megève has established itself as one of the premier ski destinations in the French Alps.
Megève boasts a vast interconnected network of ski slopes that cater to skiers and snowboarders of all abilities. Its 445 kilometers of slopes, spread across three main ski areas - Rochebrune, Mont d'Arbois, and Jaillet - provide a diverse range of terrains suitable for beginners, intermediates, and advanced skiers alike.
For beginners, Megève offers gentle nursery slopes and dedicated learning areas where ski schools provide lessons and guidance to help build confidence on the snow. Intermediate skiers can explore a variety of blue and red runs, allowing them to further develop their skills and enjoy the breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains.
Advanced skiers will find plenty of challenges on the black runs and off-piste areas that Megève is renowned for. The resort offers excellent opportunities for off-piste skiing and heli-skiing, allowing experienced skiers to venture into untouched powder and enjoy the thrill of untouched terrain.
In addition to the well-maintained slopes, Megève also provides modern ski lifts and facilities to ensure a seamless skiing experience. The resort's infrastructure includes gondolas, chairlifts, and drag lifts, allowing skiers to access the slopes with ease and minimal waiting times.
With its stunning alpine beauty, diverse terrain, and top-notch facilities, skiing in Megève is a delightful experience that caters to all types of skiers, making it a destination cherished by winter sports enthusiasts from around the world.
Certainly! Megève has a vibrant après-ski scene and a range of fantastic bars and restaurants to cater to different tastes and preferences. Here are four popular après-ski bars and four renowned restaurants in Megève:
1. Le Bar des Cochers: Located in the heart of Megève, this stylish bar offers a lively atmosphere with live music, an extensive wine and cocktail menu, and a cozy fireplace to unwind after a day on the slopes.
2. Folie Douce Megève: Situated at the top of the Rochebrune ski area, Folie Douce is known for its energetic après-ski parties. With a DJ, live performances, and a vibrant ambiance, it's the perfect place to celebrate and enjoy panoramic mountain views.
3. Le Hibou Blanc: Tucked away in the centre of Megève, Le Hibou Blanc is a trendy bar with a chic interior and a terrace offering stunning mountain views. It serves an excellent selection of cocktails, wines, and spirits, making it a great spot to relax and socialise.
4. Au Coin du Feu: This cozy and inviting bar is part of the luxurious Chalet Hotel l'Arboisie. With its warm and welcoming atmosphere, it's the ideal place to curl up by the fireplace, enjoy a drink, and mingle with fellow skiers.
1. Le 1920: Housed within the renowned Four Seasons Hotel Megève, Le 1920 is a Michelin-starred restaurant helmed by Chef Julien Gatillon. It offers an exquisite fine dining experience with an emphasis on refined French cuisine and exceptional service.
2. Flocons Village: This charming restaurant, located in the heart of Megève, is known for its traditional Savoyard dishes and cozy alpine atmosphere. From fondue to raclette, guests can savor authentic local flavors in a rustic yet elegant setting.
3. Les Enfants Terribles: Set in a rustic-chic chalet, Les Enfants Terribles is a well-loved establishment that combines traditional French cuisine with a modern twist. From its stylish interior to its delectable menu, it offers an unforgettable dining experience.
4. La Table de l'Alpaga: Situated in the luxurious Alpaga hotel, this Michelin-starred restaurant showcases the culinary talents of Chef Anthony Bisquerra. With a focus on seasonal and locally sourced ingredients, it presents innovative dishes that delight the senses.
These are just a few of the many exceptional bars and restaurants that contribute to the vibrant culinary scene in Megève. Whether you're seeking a lively après-ski experience or a gourmet dining adventure, Megève has a range of options to satisfy your desires.
Aside from skiing, Megève offers a wide range of activities that cater to different interests and preferences. Here are some popular activities to enjoy in Megève:
1. Snowshoeing: Explore the magical winter wonderland of Megève on snowshoes. Guided tours are available, allowing you to discover the hidden corners of the Alps and witness breathtaking panoramic views.
2. Ice Skating: Glide across the ice at the Megève Ice Palace, a stunning outdoor ice rink located in the heart of the village. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced skater, it's a fun activity for all ages.
3. Dog Sledding: Experience the thrill of dog sledding as you are pulled through the snowy trails by a team of energetic huskies. This unique adventure allows you to connect with nature and appreciate the strength and beauty of these incredible dogs.
4. Spa and Wellness: After an active day, rejuvenate and relax at one of the luxurious spas in Megève. Indulge in soothing massages, invigorating treatments, or simply unwind in the saunas and steam rooms, ensuring a blissful and pampering experience.
5. Shopping: Megève is renowned for its upscale boutiques and designer stores. Take a leisurely stroll through the village center and explore the charming shops, where you can find everything from high-end fashion to local artisanal products.
6. Gastronomy: Megève is a culinary paradise with an array of gourmet restaurants and traditional Savoyard eateries. Sample local delicacies like fondue and raclette, or indulge in Michelin-starred dining experiences that showcase the finest French cuisine.
7. Hiking and Nature Walks: In the warmer months, Megève transforms into a paradise for nature enthusiasts. Embark on scenic hikes and nature walks, discovering breathtaking landscapes, alpine meadows, and picturesque villages in the surrounding area.
These are just a few examples of the diverse activities available in Megève, ensuring that visitors can enjoy a memorable and fulfilling experience beyond skiing.
Traveling to Megève is relatively convenient, thanks to its proximity to several major airports. Here is a description of how to travel to Megève from the nearest airports:
1. Lyon Airport (Aéroport de Lyon-Saint Exupéry): Lyon Airport is the largest and busiest airport in the region. From Lyon, you can reach Megève by car, shuttle, or private transfer. The drive takes about 2 hours, depending on traffic conditions.
2. Geneva Airport (Aéroport de Genève): Geneva Airport is another popular gateway to Megève. From Geneva, you can reach Megève by car, shuttle, or private transfer. The journey typically takes around 1.5 hours by car, but it may take longer during peak travel times.
3. Chambéry Airport (Aéroport de Chambéry-Savoie): Chambéry Airport is the closest airport to Megève, located approximately 90 kilometers away. From Chambéry, you can hire a private transfer or rent a car to reach Megève. The drive usually takes around 1.5 to 2 hours.
4. Grenoble Airport (Aéroport de Grenoble-Alpes-Isère): Grenoble Airport is located around 160 kilometers from Megève. From Grenoble, you can reach Megève by car, shuttle, or private transfer. The journey can take around 2 to 2.5 hours, depending on traffic conditions.
It's worth noting that travel times may vary depending on the weather, road conditions, and the time of year. It's advisable to check for any updates or changes to transportation options before your trip.